Business & Finance

Friday, July 16, 2010

How do you talk to someone gently about financial problems?

I recently gave my parents a loan of quite a bit of money... Enough to pay for three months of behind mortgage on our house. They put it toward the mortgage, but before I gave them the money, I made them write out all their bills and make an Excel worksheet of them to total up earnings compared to bills. Theoretically, they have enough to pay the bills and have some extra, however in real life they are ALWAYS behind. My mom spends money in any place she sees something she wants and is an impulsive buyer. My dad also spends money, however he is a mechanic and spends it on parts that actually make him money. Since my mom constantly blamed him, we separated the banking accounts. All of his day job and her day job when into one account to pay bills. All of his side work money went into another. Since then they have not been able to pay the mortgage on time for two months and they are supposed to have enough to do that AND pay me back a reasonable amount each month... Since I live with them, I just stopped paying rent for a while but it is going to take forever to pay me back on that! Every time I bring it up, my mom gets furious and defensive. My dad wanted me to take over paying bills since I obviously do well with money, giving them that big of a loan on my meager pay, but when I told my mom, she pretty much got so angry she went out on a shopping splurge with my two sisters and they spent a lot of money we don

No comments:

Post a Comment

Business & Finance